The Board met April 6, 2011 at the Ellsworth Community College Campus in Iowa Falls for a Joint meeting of AEA 267, North Iowa Area Community College (NIACC) and Iowa Valley Community College. The regular board meeting was held at 7 p.m. after the joint meeting.
During the meeting, the board:
- Heard a program review by Julie Graber, Consultant for Technology and Learning, on Authentic Intellectual Work (AIW). The goal of this professional development initiative is to increase student learning by engaging students in authentic intellectual work. Authentic Intellectual Work is defined by three criteria: construction of knowledge, through disciplined inquiry, to produce discourse, products, and performance that has value beyond school.
- Accepted with regret the retirements of Judy Barber, Speech-Language Pathologist (Grinnell); Jacquilyn R. Mason, Speech-Language Pathologist (Marshalltown); Carolyn Maschmann, Speech-Language Pathologist (Grinnell); Mary Nichols, Special Education Consultant (Cedar Falls); Patricia Notestine, Speech-Language Pathologist (Clear Lake) all retiring end of 2010-11 school year.
- Accepted with regret the resignations of Eric Doyle, Technology Systems Specialist (to become non-union employee for 2011-12); Julie Duer, Speech-Language Pathologist (Marshalltown); Susan Jarnagin, School Psychologist (Clear Lake); Shawna Perry, Speech-Language Pathologist (Waterloo); and Virginia Warner, Teacher of Behavior Disorders (AEA 267 Bremwood School), all resigning end of 2010-11 school year.
- Motioned to hire Melissa Hesner, Consultant for Science (Cedar Falls).
- Authorized purchase of a 19-passenger bus for pre-school programs.
- Approved purchase of two Info Tech delivery vans.
- Authorized the administration to purchase computers for the 2011-12 school year.
- Approved resolution for Iowa School Cash Anticipation Program (ISCAP) participation.
- Approved resolution for Iowa Schools Finance Information Services (ISFIS).
- Renewed the lease with North Iowa Community Action Organization for the Charles City sector office.
- Heard a variety of reports from directors and fellow board members.
- A Board Strategy Session for Collective Bargaining was held immediately after the Board meeting.