The AEA 267 Board of Directors met on October 3, 2012 at 6 p.m. in the AEA 267 Conference Center for their regular meeting. During the meeting, board members were recognized for their time, energy, commitment and dedication on behalf of the agency and directing it through another successful year of operation. The “old” board then adjourned the final meeting of the 2011-2012 Board of Directors.
Immediately following the meeting, an organizational meeting of the “new” board was convened during which time the board:
- Elected Charlotte Upah as the new President and Roberta Kraft-Abrahamson as the new Vice President for 2012-13. Kerri Wilson administered the oath of office to each newly elected officer.
- Appointed Kerri Wilson as board secretary and Dennis Scudder as board treasurer.
- Heard a presentation regarding a position paper developed by Dr. Roark Horn, Dr. E. Robert Stephens (a retired professor and researcher who is widely considered to be the leading authority on the state intermediate systems), Dr. Troyce Fisher and others regarding a “new compact” between AEAs and local school districts to “co-own” responsibility for student learning. (More details on the position paper will be shared at a future time.)
- Set meeting dates and times for 2012-13 board meetings. Meetings will continue to be the first Wednesday of each month (with exceptions in July and August, which will be the second Wednesday).
- Approved board appointments to the AEA Legislative Committee, the AEA Executive Committee, the AEA 267 Audit Committee, and the IEC and IAEP committees.
- Accepted a petition from the Sumner and Fredericksburg Community School Districts to reorganize. The AEA 267 board will combine with the Keystone AEA board (which serves the Fredericksburg Community School District) on November 7 for a formal hearing and to make a decision on whether the petition should go forth to the public for a vote on February 5.
- Approved Wells Fargo Bank and the Great Western Bank as a depository of AEA funds.
- Appointed Steve Weidner as legal counsel for 2012-13.
- Approved a number of reciprocal transportation agreements.
- Approve contracts with Iowa Department for the Blind for vending services.
- Approved a 2012-13 agreement with St James Church for Gym Rental for Four Oaks.
- Approved a Statement of Agreement with Denver Community Schools for Interpreter for hard of hearing/deaf and Educational Assistant for Visually Impaired.
- Approved a Statement of Agreement with Mason City Community Schools for an Integrated Classroom at Lincoln Intermediate.
- Approved a Statement of Agreement with Waverly Community Schools for Interpreter for hard of hearing/deaf program
- Selected Tuesday, April 16, 2013 (tentative start time of 5:30 pm.) for a joint meeting with the North Iowa Area Community College (NIACC) board of directors.
- Heard a variety of reports by directors and fellow board members.