The 2009-10 board met in the Cedar Falls Conference Center at 6 p.m. and moved to adjourn the final meeting of the 2009-10 Board of Directors, thanking members for their dedication in directing the agency through another successful year of operation.
The 2010-11 Board of Directors met at 6:05 p.m. for their regular meeting.
During the meeting, the board:
- Elected Charlotte Upah as the President and Roberta Kraft-Abrahamson as Vice President of the 2010-11 Board of Directors. Kerri Wilson administered the Oath of Office to each newly elected officer.
- Appointed Kerri Wilson as Board Secretary and Dennis Scudder as Board Treasurer. Board president Upah then administered the Oath of Office.
- Heard a review from Annalisa Miner and Lisa Wymore on our programs for English Language Learners (ELL). (See related story.)
- Set dates and times for 2010-11 board meetings as the first Wednesday of the month at 6 p.m., with the exceptions of December 8, 2010 and February 9, 2011, on the second Wednesday of those months.
- Approved the Wells Fargo Bank and F & M Bank as depositories of AEA funds with a $10,000,000 and $3,000,000 limit respectively.
- Appointed Steve Weidner as the board’s legal counsel.
- Accepted with regret the retirement of Dr. Bruce Jensen, Area Director of Special Education (Clear Lake) and the resignation of Amy Lungrin, Speech-Language Pathologist (Sector 2), effective as soon as a suitable replacement is found.
- Heard a financial report from Dennis Scudder regarding the 2009-10 fiscal year and a preview of 2010-11.
- Authorized reserving funds in the amount of $150,000 for the Retro Program for workers’ compensation.
- Approved reciprocal transportation agreements between neighboring districts:
- Forest City and Garner-Hayfield
- Forest City and Lake Mills
- Forest City and North Central (Central Springs)
- Forest City and North Iowa
- Forest City and Ventura
- Forest City and Woden-Crystal Lake
- Garner-Hayfield and Ventura
- Garner-Hayfield and West Hancock
- Lake Mills and North Central (Central Springs)
- Lake Mills and North Iowa
- Nora-Springs Rock Falls and North Central
- North Iowa and Woden-Crystal Lake
- West Hancock and Woden-Crystal Lake
- Accepted the NEA Foundation Learning Grant that was awarded to Karen Mixdorf.
- Heard a variety of reports from directors and fellow board members.