If you haven’t been using the AEA Online databases and resources, you’ve been missing out! But if you are a new user, you’ll love the new line-up of resources coming your way beginning August 1. Iowa AEA Online is a virtual library that provides no-cost access to 12 high-quality, web-based resources for accredited public and non-public PreK-12 schools. Students and staff have access at school and at home. Iowa AEA Online is funded and supported by Iowa’s Area Education Agencies.
The 2011-12 AEA Online line-up includes:
- AccuWeather (PreK-12): Local and international weather conditions and forecasts for research, presentations and projects. AP Images (PreK-12): Over 7 million primary-source photographs from the 1800’s up to a minute ago, over 1.9 million sound bites from the 1920’s up to a minute ago, 230,000 maps, charts and timelines, and 2.5 million text news stories from The Associated Press.
- Atomic Learning (PreK-12) Professional development resources and curriculum materials to infuse 21st century skills into the classroom. Includes access to over 50,000 tutorials.
- BookFLIX (PreK-3): An online literacy resource that pairs fictional video storybooks with related nonfiction books. Read-aloud feature provides accessibility to all readers. Vocabulary feature and interactive games extend student learning.
- Britannica Digital Learning (PreK-12): A suite of products designed to support student research and classroom instruction, Britannica Digital Learning offers an extensive collection of reference and learning materials that are curriculum aligned and age-appropriate.
- CultureGrams (K-12): An insider’s perspective on daily life and culture, including the history, customs, and lifestyles of the world’s people.
- Gale – Cengage Learning (PreK-12): An eResource package offering screened and reliable content from magazines, newspapers, and reference materials. Ten different resources are designed for age-appropriate access.
- iCLIPART For Schools (PreK-12): A collection of more than 7.8 million royalty-free photos, clipart, fonts, animations, and sounds that can be used in multimedia presentations, Inspiration diagrams, school websites, worksheets, newsletters, posters, signs, and more.
- Learn360 (PreK-12): Educational streaming media offering thousands of full-length digital videos, video clips, images, audio files, newsreels, speeches and a comprehensive library of teaching resources from educational publishers.
- SIRS Issues Researcher (9-12): Exploration of the origins, perspectives, and essential questions under debate on over 300 pro/con social issues. Review thousands of highly targeted articles, primary sources, statistics, websites, and multimedia. Articles are read-aloud enabled and searchable by Lexile reading levels.
- soundzabound (PreK-12): Licensed audio that can be used without copyright infringement in videos, podcasts, and other forms of multimedia. The MP3 audio files are cross platform for use in any Mac or PC software that incorporates audio.
- Teen Health & Wellness (7-12): Provides students with nonjudgmental, straightforward, standards-aligned, curricular and self-help support. Topics include diseases, drugs, alcohol, nutrition, mental health, suicide, bullying, green living, online safety, financial literacy, and more.